A valuable tool for recipe description
Due to the global trend towards crafted specialties, rich in aroma and unique in character, more and more brewers, distillers and bakers use specialty malts in their recipes.
Consequently, Weyermann® was once again a pioneer in developing the Malt Aroma Wheel® to help determine and choose the various types of malts that suit the sensory characteristics of the final product. The Weyermann® Aroma Wheel® is part of the group of our registered trademarks.
The Weyermann® Malt Aroma Wheel® was developed empirically through sensory analysis and is based on the following categories:
- Roasted Aromas: Coffee, Cacao, Dark Chocolate, Roasted Almond, Dried Fruit, Bready
- Smoky Aromas: Wood Smoke (Beech, Oak), Clove
- Fruity/Nutty Aromas: Almond, Hazelnut, Raisin, Vanilla
- Malty Aromas: Honey, Biscuit, Marmalade,
- Malty-Sweet Caramel Aromas: Toffee, Light Caramel, Dark Caramel
- Taste: Sour, Sweet, Bitter
Individual Weyermann® Malt Aroma Wheels® are part of the product specifications of every malt variety and can be downloaded.
Download: Weyermann® Malt Aroma Wheel® (PDF)