Diese Website verwendet Cookies, welche für den Betrieb notwendig sind. Es werden derzeit keine Cookies von Diensten Dritter für Werbung,
Statistiken oder persönliche Präferenzen gesetzt. Weiterführende Informationen erhalten Sie in unserer Datenschutzerklärung.

Notwendig Präferenzen Statistiken Marketing    

Distribution Partner
Distribution Partner Area
News & Events
About us
Homebrewing & Recipes
Press Area
Privacy policy

Craft Beer Fanshop

Weyermann® Guided Tours

Find us on Facebook

Facebook Fanshop


Botschafter Bamberg

Slow Food


Prosperous years
Constitution and Upgrading
1887 - 1913

1887 The prosperity of the young Company grows up constant. In 1887 the architect Gustav Haeberle, who is closely connected with the Weyermann-Family, gets the mission to plan a Colour-Roastmalt-House in Laurenzistreet, the original plant. Because of the increasing prosperity the Company needs more and larger production equipment. In spring 1888 Johann Baptist buys a large ground beyond the railtrack and decides to build up a special malt factory step by step at the new plant Memmelsdorfer Street/Brennerstreet. His architect Gustav Haeberle, his brother-in-law, is always on his side during this project. They intend to built the most modern malt factory.

1888 In these times Memmelsdorfer Street is only a path, so the access road to the Weyermann plant has to be created by themselves. First of all the grain storehouses along the railtrack are built in the same time as a branch and a distillery for colour- and caramel-malt. The following years are those of building activities. After the storehouses and the branch, the Old Distillery and the Old Boiler House and so on are attached. In 1897 the new Colour Malt Distillery and in 1904 the Pneumatical Malthouse are built, which have been giving the plant the typical face until today.

1888 On the 25th of September, Carl, Brother of Rudolf Weyermann, is born. After some brewery apprenticeships he studies in 1910/11 at the Brewery-School in Berlin, called Brauerschule der Versuchs- und Lehranstalt für Brauerei (VLB) / Institut für Gärungsgewerbe in Berlin.

1890 The production equipment is always increasing. The barn, the coachman´s house and a lunchroom have been built. Responsible for all constructions is also Gustav Haeberle. The number of Bamberg inhabitants in this time is 35.815; 30.000 are catholics, 4.500 are protestants and 1.300 are jewish.

1891 Once again the plant is to small. The colour malt distillery beyond the rail track becomes larger. Also respectable: The social engagement of the company. The workers get a new bathroom and a dormitory. The bathroom is divided in a workers part and an employees part. With this houses the Company let the workers and employees take part of the prosperous expansion.

1892 Villa Trautheim in Laurenzistreet, the home of Johann Baptist´s parents-in-law, gets rebuilt after a burning in 1882. This house was originally planned by Gustav Haeberle.

1892 The plant in Brennerstreet is always increasing. Now they need a machine- and a boiler-house. The workers in the Weyermann company get a “Working plan” which rules the responsibility of each inside an everytime growing company.

1893 Because of the request of Weyermann products, which always grows up, the colour malt distillery expands.

1897 The high quality of Weyermann malt specialties from the city of Bamberg is testified by prices, international awards and an international network. The production, however, increases constantly. Caused by the fact that germination floor and colour malt distillery are in opposite directions, Johann Baptist Weyermann orders a new building for caramel- and roasted colour malt which is still in use. A transmission channel is built one year after.

1900 The new power house is built in 1900.

1901 Weyermann gives examples of a special social policy: a workers lunchroom, a kitchen and modern sanitarian devices.

1902 Diversification and further processing of the roasted and coloured malt inside the new production equipment gives the reason for the invention of coloured beer Sinamar®. Johann Baptist gets an Imperial Patent on the 16th of January, 1902 for „Production process of flavourless colour malt and mash or concentrated extracts of colour malt for the production of dark beer and coloured beer”. Between 1877 and 1918 only 10 patents with a 10 years validity were announced in Bamberg. Johann Baptist Weyermann recognizes the importance of his production process and extends his patent for more countries. The Weyermann coloured beer is brewed by Keesmann and Maisel. Breweries in Bamberg in a special fee-brewing process. Later the Johann Baptist Weyermann Company brews the colour malt beer in König Street in Bamberg.

1902 Johann Baptist Weyermann starts the planning of a new pneumatical malthouse. A model of this extraordinary innovation has its place in the German Museum. Unfortunately the World War bombs destroy the roof of the museum and the model becomes a victim of flames. It will never be restored....Because of the new railway underpass, the branch office is rebuilt in Brennerstreet 19.

1902 The „Emmericher Maschinenfabrik & Eisengiesserei G.m.b.H.“ is a specialist for abandoned roasting machines used by Mich. Weyermann for the production diversity of coloured malt.

1902 Rudolf Weyermann, son of Johann Baptist Weyermann, starts his studies of Brewery Sciences at the University in Freising-Weihenstephan. He joins the students league Bavaria, a fighting fraternity, which consists of only male students. He will patronize the fraternity not only imaginary but also financial his life long. Following his example, some more of the male Weyermann-Family members join the tradition, like Carl Heinrich Weyermann, named Heinz. Later his daughter Sabine marries a fraternity member, Thomas Kraus-Weyermann.

1903 By the interdiction of coloured beer in Bavaria Johann Baptist Weyermann sources out this prosperous production into the prussian country and moves with his „Farbebierbrauerei Johann Baptist Weyermann“ from Obere König Street 21 to Potsdam. At the so called “Am Kanal 4a” location he leases a brewery from the brewer family Lamm. Until 1945 the coloured beer will be produced there. Against an amount of protests concerning the Bamberg city plans for the construction of a railway underpass, this building process starts. The branch office has to move.

1904 Laying of the corner stone for the pneumatical malthouse. Now the germination process can be undertaken inside the Weyermann plant in modern „Galland-Drums“, instead of leased Drums like in Stephansberg. Josef Nikolaus Galland (1816-1886), a french brewer from Nancy, was a ingenious and restless inventor. Together with his employee Saladin they try to improve the box malting before he changes to the drum malting. At the 10th of may, 1883 he developes his Empire Patent 32.620 together with the director of the Freund´sche Maschinenfabrik (machine factory) in Charlottenburg/Berlin. The Berlin Schultheiß Brewery will be the first customer of the “Galland-Drums”. These drums with the advancement of the Freud´sche Maschinenfabrik made Galland well known in the whole Europe.

1904 25th Anniversary of Weyermann Malt. In this year 46.284 dozen of malt will be produced. In the last 10 years the production tripled.

1905 Rudolf Weyermann joins at the age of 25 years his fathers company after some stopovers in France and England and after a commercial apprenticeship in the A. E Wassermann bankhouse. He finished his studies and served in the army at the Cheveau Leger Regiment in Nuremberg. In Bamberg live 45.483 people in these times.

1906 The Bavarian Anniversary, Country-, Industrial- Trade- and Art-Fair in Nuremberg. The Michael Weyermann Caramel and Colourbeer Company Bamberg takes part to show their capacity. With nice glasses and bags they represent the diversity of malt types and their quality. Gambrinus who completes the exhibition is the patron saint of the Weyermann Company. The Weyermann Company gets the Gold Medal for excellent malt, colour- and caramel malt, further for exquisit malt coffee, extraordinary capacity and important export.

1906 The successful business-relationship Weyermann-Haeberle shows an unconventional social way with a special finance-project: Even the inhabitants without a huge property or with a low income get the possibility to purchase living space. Architect Haeberle designs the plans for the houses in Brennerstreet.

1907 Trading relations and distribution network: The general ledger of 1907-1910 as one of the oldest preserved documents of the companies accountancy represents the innovative, modern and still dominant strategies of the company such as a representation in the local, regional, national and international trade. Such trading relations are verifiable between the company and Denmark, Sweden, Norway, France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Luxemburg, Switzerland, Italy, Spain and the USA. As a matter of fact, some of the todays regular costumers have been recipients of the Weyermann Malt Specialties since more than 100 years.

1908 Carl Weyermann takes his way to the Versuchs- and Lehrbrauerei Berlin, an experimental and school-brewery. He joins the Corps Cimbria, a fraternity to which he belongs until he passes away. In this year the Weyermann Companies specialty Carapils® will be announced and registered as a traditional trademark by the imperial patent office.

1911 The architect Gustav Haeberle (1853-1930) belongs to the Weyermann-Family also because of his marriage with Maria Kunigunde Weyermann, born in 1850, a sister of the companies founder Johann Baptist Weyermann. Haeberle is one of the most famous architects in the Bamberg area until his death. For example he creates in Bamberg parts of the Altenburg-Castle, an amount of prestigious middle-class houses, the Clavius Gymnasium, a famous high school, and some plants, for instance the Tobacco Company Raulino and the shoe manufactury Manz. Beside his countless works contracts Haeberle is always involved in the construction processes of his friend and brother-in-law Johann Baptist Weyermann. In 1910 the house where the grain will be accepted is built like a mediaeval castle, in 1911 a kiln follows. Furthermore he creates the so called Schweizerhäuschen, a special type of house, at the Laurenziplatz right beside the parents-in-law of Johann Baptist Weyermann. Gustav Haeberle is closely connected with the Weyermann Familiy. 34 Breweries make 135.000 hectoliter of beer in the city area of Bamberg. Quite 14.000 hectoliter are exported in places beyond the Bavarian border.

1912 Johann Baptist Weyermann receives the title of a Commercial Councillor on the 1th of January, 1912. In 1916 he gets the title of a Royal Bavarian Councillor of Commerce. In 1917 he receives the medal of Saint Michael by his engagement for the Bavarian economy and for the Bavarian Kingdom.

1912 The Prince of Bavaria, Ludwig, later King Ludwig III of Bavaria, visits in occasion of the Bamberg port opening the Weyermann Company and signs the Golden Company Book.

1913 Laying of the corner stone of the administration building, planned by Gustav Haeberle. The former administration building has its place since 1902 in Brennerstreet 19. The new house has a laboratory at the first floor. From 1924 on the Weyermann-Family lives there, first Adele and Rudolf Weyermann, later Irma and Rolf Weyermann, and since 1992 Sabine and Thomas Weyermann.

1913 In June 1913 the XII. Deutsche Braumeister-Tag (Day of German Brewmaster) takes place in Berlin. The Weyermann Factory Potsdam contributes also.

1913 The Mich. Weyermann Company celebrates the 25th Anniversary at the new plant in Memmelsdorfer Street – Brennerstreet.

Weyermann® MalzfabrikBrennerstraße 17 - 1996052 Bamberg Telefon + 49 (0) 951 93 220-0Fax + 49 (0) 951 93 220-970eMail