Home
Products
Trademarks
Distribution Partner
Distribution Partner Area
News & Events
About us
History
Homebrewing & Recipes
Guestbook
Contact
Press Area
FAQ
Privacy policy
Impressum





Craft Beer Fanshop

Weyermann® Guided Tours



Find us on Facebook

Facebook Fanshop



Mittelstandspreis

Botschafter Bamberg

Slow Food

History



Roasting drum and Tarpaulin
The times before, general conditions, time of
until 1886


1510 Tracing back the history of the Weyermann-Family this name was mentioned in a former book of citizens called “Immunitätenbuch” where a “Barbara Weyermenin” was registered – the first and oldest evidence.



1600 From the late 16th century on members of the Weyermann-Family worked as fishermen and skipper on Main and Regnitz creeks. Their home is the region beside the little rivers called “Klein-Venedig” = Little Venice, a part of the city centre of Bamberg, remarkable by its lovely small and colourful houses down by the creek.



1706 The spiritual point of reference, the so called church “Obere Pfarre”, is where the Weyermann-Family is proven by the church books (parish register) numerous times. One example is the marriage of Johann Pancratz Weyermann, skipper, with Anna Barbara Strümpf, daughter of a fisherman, on 26th of April, 1706.



1776 Balthasar Weyermann, skipper and father of Michael Weyermann, was born in Bamberg on 25th of March, 1776.



1817 The eponymous patron of the plant, Michael Weyermann, was born on the 5th of February 1817 in the small alley called Fischer House No. 7 as the fourth of five children of Balthasar Weyermann (1776-1867) and his wife Kunigunde Weyermann, née Weber (1782-1856). When he became a skipper like his father he enlarged the plant, especially transport and shipping, by adding a prosperous cereal shop. He died on the 14th of June, 1873.



1818 Brewing in Bamberg - The Beer-Inspector Johann Albert Seifert enumerated in his little book of Bamberg Breweries from 1818 about 65 brewing places in this town. That shows the meaning of beer as an aliment.
But the tradition of beer breweries is much older than this book. It goes back to the year 1122 where the monastery St. Michael made beer for over 800 years until 1969 when they stopped brewing.
Today the Franconian Beer Museum has its place inside the monastery walls.
Bildergalerie




1819 For decades, some members of the Weyermann-Family like Adam, Christoph, Franz Josef, Balthasar, Johann, Franz, Mathäus and Michael Weyermann practiced the highly regarded occupation of senior shipping merchants. Only this kind of profession has the privilege of leading ships on the rivers, attending the arrival in larger cities like Würzburg, Frankfurt/Main or Cologne to pick up goods from or to Bamberg. This guild of skippers was limited to 15 members.
Bildergalerie




1830 When the 30-ies of the 19th Century started, Bamberg grew up and became the No. 1 reloading point of frankonian hops. Trading hops in Bamberg, leaded by some jewish families, became a prosperous export business. Between 1850 and 1889 exists more than 50 storehouses with sulfer kiln, drying, charging and loading equipment together with more than 100 plants.
Bildergalerie




1848 Michael Weyermann marries the blacksmith daughter Anna Margaretha Bausback on the 20th of February. In 1849 their first daughter was born, Maria Kunigunda, which dies before her first birthday in April 1850. The couple gets a second child on 21st of December, 1850 and gives her the same name.



1853 Johann Baptist, son of Michael Weyermann, the founder of the today´s company, is born on the 18th of December, 1853 in the Little Venice District, Fischerei No. 17 as the fourth of seven children.



1867 This is Michaels father´s death year and Johann Baptists Grandfather, Balthasar Weyermann. He died at the age of 91 years on the 13th of August, 1867.



1871 When the German Empire is established, Wilhelm I is proclaimed as Emperor. In the Frankfurt Peace Treaty, France is obligated to award 5 billion francs in war compensation. Throughout the german territories rolls a wave of new companies foundation, being established as the so called “Gründerzeit”, a rapid industrial expansion. A new free trade is warranted so that everybody can found his own company without being a member of a guild. This was the brave decision of Michael Weyermann to found a malting company.



1873 Michael Weyermann, grain merchant and skipper, dies on the 14th of June, 1873. After his father´s death, Johann Baptist inherits the grain store, leading it in a prosperous way.



1875 Because of the economy unification in the German Empire in 1875 the trademark protection becomes operative, followed 1878 by the Empire´s patent law. Both are very important for the development and establishment of trademarks and the protection of production-processes, which counts especially for the traditional trademarks of the Weyermann Company.
Bildergalerie




1875 Im Zuge der Vereinheitlichung des Wirtschaftsrechts im Deutschen Reich tritt 1875 das Deutsche Markenschutzgesetz in Kraft. Ihm folgt 1877 das Reichspatentgesetz. Beide Gesetze spielen bis heute eine wichtige Rolle für die Herausbildung und Etablierung von Markennamen und den Schutz von Produktionsverfahren. In besonderer Weise gilt das für die Traditionsmarken aus dem Hause Weyermann.




1878 In this year Johann Baptist and Sabina become parents of a little daughter, Eva-Margarete, who marries in 1898 the director of the Bamberg hospital, Dr. Max Jungengel. They will have two daughters: Irma, born in 1900, and Martha, born in 1903. The family´s residence is the Staub´sches Haus (House of Staub) in the Untere Sandstraße, now the home of the Loose-Theatre.



1879 The company foundation was on the 4th of October, 1879, when Johann Baptist established a malt roasting house at the same time with the takeover of his father´s well known grain store. Inside the property of his parents-in-law, Laurenzi Street No. 28 in a part of Bamberg called Kaulberg, and under the Company name „Mich. Weyermann’s Malzkaffee Fabrik“, he fabricates malt coffee and some fruit coffee varieties. His “production equipment” is a small roasting drum under a tarpaulin. Johann Baptist has just one employee, Hans Späth. In these days Bamberg counts 26.951 residents. Because of the fact that the plant doesn´t have a germination room, they burn only grain which is not malted. But shortly after renting some cellar rooms in the part of Oberer Stephansberg, there is given the possibility for the grains germination. The plant in Laurenzi Street is blessed because the holy Laurentius of Rome, who died in 258 the martyrdom, is the pation saint of the maltsters, like the Holy Gambrinus too. His commemorations day is the 10th of August.
Bildergalerie




1880 Rudolf Weyermann, Son of Johann Baptist, is born on the 7th of September, 1880 in Bamberg. After school he learns at the splendid bankhouse A. E. Wassermann in Bamberg and - after this apprenticeship – he studies, attending some internships in various breweries, at the Academy of Agriculture and Brewery in Weihenstephan. Rudolf marries in 1916 Adele Ankenbrand, the daughter of a splendid business family from Eltmann near Bamberg.


 
Weyermann® MalzfabrikBrennerstraße 17 - 1996052 Bamberg Telefon + 49 (0) 951 93 220-0Fax + 49 (0) 951 93 220-970eMail info@weyermann.de